Simple Computer Security Tips
There are several things you can do to make your computer secure. Most of them can be done at no cost at all. Here are some simple tips that will help keep your computer and data safe.
- Stay away from warez (pirated software), keygens, and programs from P2P.
- Install your Windows updates (e.g. software updates, security fixes, patches, service packs).
- Back up your important data regularly. How do I back up my data?
- Keep your software updated.
- Use a reputable antivirus program.
- Do not open email attachments from unknown sources or files sent through an instant messenger.
- Only download software from trusted sources (e.g. FileHippo, SnapFiles).
- Use strong passwords. Passwords should be a minimum of eight characters and contain uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols (!,@, #, &, %, *).
- Disable unnecessary plug-ins in your web browser. This will help keep you safe from malicious scripts and activeX exploits.
- Use a secure DNS service such as OpenDNS or Google DNS.
- Do not believe every virus warning you receive; many are hoaxes and scareware.
- Remain as anonymous as possible. Do not give out your full name, address, phone number, or other personal information to anyone you do not know or who doesn’t have a legitimate need for it (in person, over the phone, via email, or the Internet).
- Turn off your computer or log off when you're not using it.
- Replace programs that have a bad security track record (e.g. IE, Outlook, Adobe Reader).